Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

weekly wrap up

Scotty attended an "en plein air" water color class on Tuesday.
(That means 'in the open air')
at Bond Park.
It started out well...
the class found a shady spot,
and they camped out at the lake shore.
The instructor was great. 
She is a home schooler
who also teaches art classes for children
at the Sertoma Arts Center in Raleigh.
Unfortunately, the temp crept up to about 94 degrees,
and the kids were invaded by a horde of
inch worms that crawled all over them,
their blankets and their artwork.
Spring time in North Carolina!
Here is Scott's depiction of one of the many ducks
that float and play around on Bond Park.
I think the thing that's to the right of the duck
is one of the feeders that sticks out of the water.
When I asked, Scott told me,
"It's one of those greenish-brownish things, mom.
I don't know."
So, there you have it.

Maya wrote a new poem just this afternoon
and decided that this is the one
she likes the best.
Here it is:

Inky Black
by Maya Wing

I  nk scrawled across a page
N  othing else exists
K  eeping a story behind those words
Y  ou can see far

B  lack ink, smooth and sure
L  aying the tale line by line
A  ll your worries and thoughts be gone
C  alling your name, page after page
K  eeping your light on be it night or day

I LOVE this poem! 
It's all about something Maya is absolutely passionate about,
(reading)
and she incorporated her favorite color into the poem,
(black)
and she was so descriptive about how this past time makes her feel.
I am very proud of her.
I submitted it the second she told me this was the one.
Yay! We have such talented kids.
We won't know the outcome of the contest
until the beginning of May,
but I will make sure it's posted,
whatever it may be. 
We started our third and final Writing Workshop this week.
I have nine kids, including Maya,
and it is a lively, but happy bunch.
This one, sadly, is being cut short.
I will only get to meet with this group four times,
but it was great to get acquainted with these new kids
and I think it will be a smashing success
as the other two workshops have been.

We are glad it's Friday around here.
It was a great school week,
but we are welcoming the weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment