The kids have had a great week this week,
working hard both physically and mentally
after a non-existent school week last week.
(When mom gets sick, school suffers.)
On Tuesday, both kids swam 1,800 yards
at practice!
A mile is 1,760 yards.
That's a lot of swimming.
On Wednesday, Scott swam 1,750 yards
and Mylee swam 2,000.
2,000!
That's about 1,975 more yards than I can swim.
:)
Needless to say, they have aches and pains,
but they've slept pretty well.
Today is the last practice of the week.
We'll see how many yards they swim tonight.
Maya went to her second Spelling Bee practice on Tuesday
and did really, really well.
She's gotten through the whole list
and can spell every single word.
She's been working very, very hard
and we bought her the
Scripp's Spelling Bee ds game,
so she's been playing with that, as well.
The local bee will be on Saturday, January 15th
at Cameron Village Library.
Wish her luck!
We just got confirmation today
that we will be traveling to Maryland with Steven
in mid January.
He is attending a class there
and we are going to tag along.
We will be staying in Hanover, MD,
which is about 25 miles outside of Washington, D.C.
The kids and I are going to spend the week
going into the city each morning,
do some sight seeing
and a bunch of hands on learning.
Education on the go.
Isn't home schooling awesome????
No book clubs for the month of December,
but the kids are still reading.
Scott is reading Percy Jackson & the Olympians:
The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan,
and Maya is reading
Pretty Monsters
by
Kelly Link.
Both Maya and I loved the Percy Jackson series
and I am excited by the fact
that Scotty seems to really like it so far as well.
One more exciting piece of news...
both Maya and Scott won their age division
in the Creative Communications Essay contest!
Woo hoo!
The essay Maya entered was Venus,
and Scotty entered Moths and Butterflies.
You can read each of them under their tabs
on the homepage.
Please check out the new paper Maya just wrote
on President Lincoln, also under her tab.
It's a very well researched
and nicely written paper.
Who knows...
you might just learn something!
(I know I did!)
No comments:
Post a Comment