Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Well, it's been real

This has been a very interesting week.
Before we left,
Steven and I were talking about
the kinds of trips where you get to your destination,
you stay there,
you play and eat and relax...
you know,
the all inclusive resort style trips?
Yeah...those kinds of trips sound good.
Heck, they sound great.
We don't take trips like that so much.
We should really start.

A lot has happened since my last post.
Here's a the run down:
(Caution! Long post ahead!)

On Monday afternoon,
the cold that had been plaguing Steven
since mid-week last week
worsened instead of getting better.
When he was struggling through class
due to lack of sleep and a stuffed head,
he decided to go to a clinic
where they diagnosed him with acute bronchitis.
He got some much needed antibiotics
and has gotten progressively better
throughout the week.

On Tuesday,
we ditched our plans of going back into D.C.
due to a storm that blew in Monday night.
There was only about an inch of snow,
but the temps were frigid 
and the roads were very icy.
Fortunately for us, there is an enormous mall
right near our hotel.


It's called Arundel Mills Mall
and it's the biggest mall I've ever seen in my entire life.



We did some shopping...
Maya bought a great pair of jeans and a t-shirt,
and Scott got a punching bag and some gloves.
These are things that have been on Scott's list for a while
so he was very happy.
They also took a 'ride' on a roller coaster simulator.
They were tilted and shaken
throughout their virtual journey
of a haunted mine
and they giggled and had a great time.


Then it was time for some Dippin' Dots.


We stopped off at the book store
and found this very hungry fish
who thought Scotty looked quite tasty.


This chicken laid a Scott shaped egg...


and for this, there really are no words. :)

Steven met us at the theater in the mall
after his class ended for the day
and together we saw Tron.
It was a pretty good movie.

On Wednesday,
the weather was gorgeous
and the kids and I took off for the city.


We'd mastered the metro
and it didn't take us long to get to our first stop
which was Ford's Theater.
This is where President Lincoln was shot
by John Wilkes Booth
on the night of April 14, 1865.


This is the gun that Booth used.


This is the box in which President Lincoln,
his wife and two other guests were sitting
when he was shot.

The theater is still open
and they perform all sorts of plays
throughout the year.
The basement contains
a beautifully put together museum
about Lincoln's early life,
his presidency and his assassination. 
The theater box has been preserved
and looks just as it did
that fateful night.

After we saw the theater,
the kids and I took a walk toward
the White House.
The temps were in the 50's and the skies were blue.
It was a welcome change from earlier in the week.


Here's Maya in front of the Ronald Reagan/
International Trade Center Building.


The White House 
with the National Monument behind it.
As I took this,
the staff in the White House was busying itself
preparing a state dinner scheduled later that evening
 for the president of China,
Hu Jinto. 


Jackson in Lafayette Square
near the White House.


We chose to head back toward the Mall for a late lunch.
The kids were dragging at this point,
(as shown in this picture of Scotty,)
so we strolled past the Monument
on our way to the National American History Museum
where we ate in the Stars and Stripes Cafe.
(Since we'd already been to this museum on Monday,
I didn't force the kids to walk through it with me again.
I did, however, take this picture on our way to the cafe.


When I saw the statue
I was curious as to who it was.
When I realized it was George Washington,
I decided to take a photo.
I don't know about anyone else,
but when I think of G.W.,
this is really not what comes to mind.

After the kids ate, 
we caught a metro from the Smithsonian station
back into Maryland
and made the long trek back to the hotel
in rush hour traffic.
It's bigger here.
There are a lot more people,
a lot more traffic
and things move at a brisker pace.
I had to work a bit to keep up.

At dinner,
Scott was dragging. and had no appetite.
 Maya's cough had come back
but it seemed much worse
and both of them were incredibly stuffy.
I thought maybe they were just tired 
and needed a good night's sleep
but by the time we got back to the hotel,
Scott had a fever 
and Maya was feeling awful.
I thought Scotty was over his cold
and that Maya was on the mend.
Turns out that I was wrong.

On Thursday morning,
I got the kids ready to go
to Walmart for another round
of cold meds.
My left contact had been feeling
a bit uncomfortable the day before
and I knew I might have a problem with it,
but I was hoping to get through
the rest of the trip without an issue.
It was not to be.
It split in half while in my eye.
The first half came out without a fight.
After about thirty minutes of flushing and probing,
I was able to get the other half out.
Life has been unique this afternoon
with out of date glasses and only one contact.
Bless our friend and neighbor
who overnighted a new pair to me today.
I'm thinking that driving from Maryland
to North Carolina might require sight in both eyes.


I was really hoping to get back into the city tomorrow.
There is still so much I want to see.
After another trip to the clinic this evening, however,
and the fact that my vision is decidedly lopsided,
it has been decided that our trip to D.C.
has officially come to an end.
Perhaps sometime in the near future,
we can plan a weekend excursion
where we can all hit the rest of highlights
we missed on this go around.

Between the four of us
we have two cases of bronchitis,
three ear infections
and blindness in one eye.
We may not have our health,
but at least we still have each other. :)

So,
in some ways,
it was really a pretty rotten week.
Do I think it was a failure?
Absolutely not!
I put off visiting some of the main attractions
so that we could see them all together
this weekend.
D.C. is expecting a huge cold snap
Saturday and Sunday
and Steven and I have decided to leave Friday
after his class is over to avoid the bad weather.
We missed out on some of the big hitters
I was very excited to see,
specifically the Lincoln Memorial
and the Archive Museum.
That bums me out big time...
BUT
we saw a ton in the two days
we spent in D.C.
We saw three Smithsonian Museums,
the Capitol,
the National Monument,
Ford's Theater,
the White House,
the Old Post Office Pavilion
and Lafayette Square.
I got to see my friend Beth again
after 22 years
and I successfully drove through Maryland,
navigated the WMATA Metro System
and toured D.C. with the kids
and had a blast doing it.
Not to mention the fact
that we got to stay in a super nice hotel,
and ate tons of yummy food every day.
I hardly feel right
complaining about what ails us
after all of that.

In my opinion, this trip was definitely a success
and I am happy and grateful
that we got the opportunity to experience it.

With that said, however...
I would still love to take one of those 
all inclusive trips...
the ones that actually feel like vacations;
the ones where when you come home
you aren't more tired and more in need of a break
than you were when you left.

Oh,
and I'd be willing to bet
that when Steven has another business trip
that requires him to leave the state,
we won't be invited to tag along.





No comments:

Post a Comment