Okay...madness is not quite the word I was looking for...
Magnificence, maybe? Magic?
The "M" word I'd use to describe our CHS Writing Workshops is definitely this one;
Marvelous!
That's been a big part of this month,
the two writing workshops I have been teaching.
I have 14 terrific kids
and I've had a blast spending my Tuesdays and Thursdays writing with them.
We have completed two weeks out of the five,
then I will start with a new group in April
for another five weeks.
Some other big hitters for this month:
The deadline for the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Shark Art Contest is March 15th.
I got Scotty's two drawings off at the beginning of the week.
The four of us plan to see the Megalodon exhibit there sometime in April,
but hope to have the results of the contest before then.
The kids are both entering a poetry contest this month as well.
Check out this link:
This is a company called Creative Communications
and they host contests for both poetry and essays three times each year.
This is a regional contest and the top ten writers in each grade division
will win a $50 savings bond.
They will also be published in a hardback anthology with the other winners of the contest
and will receive a free copy of the book.
The deadline for this contest is April 13th,
but I have decided to move that deadline up for us to March 31st
to coincide with the wrap up of our poetry unit for school.
Scott will be entering the K-3 division, and Maya will be in the 4-6 grade level.
They will both compete in the essay contest as well,
but not until October of 2010.
Once each of them has chosen the poem they'd like to enter,
I will post them here so you can read what they have written!
The kids are back into their book clubs at the Cary Public Library for this month.
They took February off because the meetings took place during the week we were in Colorado.
Maya is part of both the 4th /5th grade and the Middle School clubs.
She's reading Peak by Roland Smith.
It's about a young teen who attempts to climb Mt. Everest with his father.
She's also reading Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.
Scott is a member of the 2nd/3rd grade book club
and is reading Butter Fingers by J.M. Trewellard.
This is a story about a princess who is saved from a horrible, scary dragon
by a very clumsy and quiet stable boy.
This is not normally the kind of story Scott would choose for himself,
but we shall see how he likes it once he finishes it up.
More updates soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment