Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

In the swim of things and spelling, spelling, spelling...

Both Maya and Scott
have been members of
the New Wave Swim Team
for exactly four months this week.
It's been an awesome four months!


Here are our monkeys
in their Wave hoodies.
It's cold here in the mornings.

They are working hard to prepare for a meet
the weekend of March 4 - 6.
Maya is on the cusp of moving up another level.
She's legal in every stroke except for breast stroke.
Her feet don't cooperate the way she 
or her coach want them to, but they're working hard on it.
They are both powerful, beautiful swimmers
and we are very proud of them.

We are wrapping up our first full week 
back at school after the holiday break.
It's been a productive one.
I love coming back after an absence.
We are always fired up and ready to go.

Maya's spelling bee takes place next Saturday,
January 15th at the Cameron Village Library.
She's had to master 275 words,
(a lot of them rather challenging,
but that's the point, right?)
and has done an amazing job.
She's getting a bit nervous, but she's an excellent speller
and I know she will do well.
Wish her luck!

I am in the process of organizing another round
of Writing Workshops,
this time for Scotty.
We will be doing two of them, both four weeks long.
We will be working on
narrative writing,
writing letters,
creating comic strips
and some poetry.
Both of those classes will take place in February.

Before I teach those, however,
we are going to Washington, D.C.!
I am busily working on an itinerary for us.
I plan to drive with the kids
to a metro stop about 15 miles from our motel
and riding into the city each day.
We will have a couple of days with Steven
to explore as well.
There is so much I want to take in
while we're there.
We will be seeing a couple of friends
during our stay in the nation's capital as well.
We're pretty excited.
We will leave the day after the spelling bee,
early Sunday morning.
It's about a five hour drive to Hanover, MD,
and we have some fun things to see along the way.

Great start to the New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment